Imagine or The Story about the Unidentified
Higher Arc Magzine asked me to contribute to their first issue which explores the concept of paleo-futurism through various interpretations. This issue focuses on the past’s predictions for the future,
the concept of expired ideas, and the aesthetics of science fiction and ‘the
Therefore I designed a cover version of my master thesis as a 6 pages magazine - to be published in Higher Arc. It's the story about the UFO, the unidentified, which wants to become ‘the New’ again.
- Howto become the NEW again
- Not Hot: Latest Fakes, p.2
- Exclusive: Queens asks about Kate, p.4
- Interview: Hello James Murphy, p.5
- Plus: Amazing Crop Field Art p.5
- Lead article: „The NEW is the word we use to explain things we don’t understand, things that are above us.” explanis M.Burges a philosopher of the human race. [...]"
- Worst Fakes make UFOs crazy & sad ;(
- New Design Approach: "We got stuck into the same styles and forms over the last decades."
- New Claim: "Every successfull company or product got a message, a claim that supports their economical idea."
- Howto use the UFO Billboard Kit or Banners with the new claim [...]
- The Queens needs the UFO for oberserving Kate
- Interview with James Murphy about "The Discourse" and Realness as important factor to get relevant.
- New Business Ideas: "Getting into the real business would increase our reputaion on earth"
- "Is it the beginning or is it the end" Caution, UFO, 1981
How to become the NEW again?
"Long time ago, as we were the NEW! UFOs under fire @ the Los Angeles Battle, 24.02.1942"
Realness Discourse: A Interview with James Murphy for Imagine #1
James Murphy: Yeah, I‘m losing my edge. I‘m losing my edge. The kids are coming up from behind. I‘m losing my edge. I‘m losing my edge to the kids from France and from London. But I was there.
Imagine: Tell us more!
James Murphy: I was there in 1968. I was there at the first Can show in Cologne. I‘m losing my edge. I‘m losing my edge to the kids whose footsteps I hear when they get on the decks.
Imagine: What do you mean with “footsteps”?
James Murphy: I‘m losing my edge to the Internet seekers who can tell me every member of every good group from 1962 to 1978. I‘m losing my edge. To all the kids in Tokyo and Berlin. I‘m losing my edge to the art-school Brooklynites in little jackets and borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered eighties.
Imagine: Good point, so James... [interrupted]
James Murphy: But I‘m losing my edge. I‘m losing my edge, but I was there. I was there. But I was there. I was there in 1974 at the first Suicide practices in a loft in New York City. I was working on the organ sounds with much patience. I was there when Captain Beefheart started up his first band. I told him, „Don‘t do it that way. You‘ll never make a dime.“ I was there.
James Murphy: I was the first guy playing Daft Punk to the rock kids. I played it at CBGB‘s. Everybody thought I was crazy. We all know. I was there. I was there. I‘ve never been wrong.
James Murphy: I used to work in the record store. I had everything before anyone. I was there in the Paradise Garage DJ booth with Larry Levan. I was there in Jamaica during the great sound clashes. I woke up naked on the beach in Ibiza in 1988.
Imagine: So what can we get out of this interview, Mister Murphy.
James Murphy: But I‘m losing my edge to better-looking people with better ideas and more talent. And they‘re actually really, really nice. I‘m losing my edge. I hear you‘re buying a synthesizer and an arpeggiator and are throwing your computer out the window because you want to make something real. You want to make a Yaz record.
Imagine: Yes, I’m playing an instrument...
James Murphy: I hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables. I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars. I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.
Imagine: Okay Okay, thanks for the interview!
James Murphy: But have you seen my records? This Heat, Pere Ubu, Outsiders, Nation of Ulysses, Mars, The Trojans, The Black Dice, Todd Terry,...
Please check the advanced version of this story (my master)